Thursday 18 April 2013

Who Is Branding House Music?


It took me a while to come up with a meaningful answer to this important and relevant question. In my answer I will be looking at Deep, Soulful and more down tempo house music. The reason for my focus is because the deeper sound is not so commercialized especially from a global scale. Deep House has never been mainstream it has always been a genre for a select few and those who do follow and support it remain loyal to it. I also consider myself a patriot of the Deep House “nation” because I understand it and it resonates with me. In recent years House music as a whole has grown tremendously, especially in the South African market. When I was asked the above question “Who Is Branding House Music”, a comparison was made between Hip Hop/Rap and House. These are two different beasts with their own culture and heritage. This is not a fair comparison to be made due to the vast difference of markets these genres cater for. Hip Hop/Rap is played and broadcasted worldwide as it has a wider audience.  I believe that the creators, disseminators and supporters of the House music we've grown accustomed to are the ones who endorse and give House music its own niche. The genre of House has grown to be an industry of its own, and more and more every day we fuel this beast with insightful and trendy ideas. I believe that in time the genre will grow to be as big as the mainstream genres. However these are my two cents… 

No comments:

Post a Comment